Have 'The Time of your Life' at Dirty Dancing, Grand Opera House Belfast.

Thursday 31 July 2014

                                

I was lucky enough to have a ticket to see Dirty Dancing at the Grand Opera House, Belfast on Wednesday 30th July. 
Although I have seen the film it's not a show that would be top of my 'must see' list. However, as I took my seat in the centre of Row G I was open minded and prepared to be entertained.
The show benefits from a toe-tapping, singalong song list, including favourites such as the opening number 'Be My Baby', 'Hungry Eyes' and of course '(I've had) The Time of My Life'. From the moment the curtain rose the audience was treated to fabulous dancing and singing from ensemble and principals alike. The ensemble was vibrant and oozed energy, immediately engaging the enthusiastic audience.
The dialogue was rather indistinct at the start, and I found it difficult to hear clearly over the band, but thankfully this was quickly rectified. The first rate band was in an elevated position at the rear of the stage, but this worked extremely well, particularly during the scenes where the live band was integral to the story.
The success of any show hangs chiefly upon the performances of the principals, and Dirty Dancing is no exception. Roseanne Frascona as Frances 'Baby' Houseman gave a sensitive and honest reading of the role, devoid of schmaltz. Claire Rogers was a stunning and accomplished Penny Johnson, Wayne Smith gave a superb vocal performance as Billy Kostecki - what a wonderful falsetto he possesses! But the undisputed star of the show was Gareth Bailey as Johnny Castle. His performance was masterly and incredibly charismatic - a fact that did not go unnoticed by the female members of the audience who gave him a huge ovation, and showed their appreciation of his fine physique displayed only in a pair of boxer shorts! 
The smaller parts were ably handled, although I personally did not enjoy the interpretation of Mr Shumacher played by Mark Faith - I felt the supposed 'comedy' of this role was overplayed and was more cringeworthy than funny. However, this was my only small niggle in an otherwise enjoyable production, one that I would certainly recommend you see. 
Dirty Dancing is running at The Grand Opera House Belfast until 16th Aug, and is definitely not to be missed! Tickets are available from The Grand Opera House www.goh.co.uk


No comments :

Post a Comment